During these unprecedented times when group based health education is not possible Care Plus Group (CPG) are now proud to offer adults with Type 2 diabetes, MyDESMOND, a national online educational programme.
CPG have been offering access to DESMOND group education since 2006, and in the last year alone 175 patients with Type 2 diabetes have attended. To support this, and to increase access to information and support CPG are now proud to announce the launch of MyDESMOND to anyone with Type 2 diabetes across North East Lincolnshire.
MyDESMOND*, developed by the Leicester Diabetes Centre, is an interactive digital programme with the following features:
- Interactive learning and 8-weekly booster sessions to help increase knowledge and confidence about Type 2 diabetes through a range of videos, quizzes and educational materials
- The ability to track activity levels and even link up to the Fitbit, GARMIN or Google Fit
- Add weight, blood pressure, HbA1c, diet and cholesterol info to track progress and changes
- Set daily and long-term goals
- There’s the chance to compete with others in the MyDESMOND community on the global leader boards
- Chat with members of the MyDESMOND community
- Invite friends and family to join in as well through the ‘Buddies’ feature
- Ask the Expert – connected to the multi-disciplinary team of the Leicester Diabetes Centre
Kerrie Pasquill-Johnson, Diabetes Specialist Nurse for Care Plus Group said:
“It is hoped that adding MyDESMOND to our portfolio of diabetes education for our patients will go a long way to making a positive difference to the lives of those with Type 2 diabetes. Especially during these uncertain times and when individuals are at home shielding or isolating by sharing clear and concise messages to encourage healthy living along with some innovative features such as the ‘buddies’ and education booster sessions, we hope that those with Type 2 diabetes will reap the benefits.”
Feedback from people who have been using MyDESMOND from across the UK already has been positive; quotes and findings from a recent national survey by the Leicester Diabetes Centre include:
“Interesting with great information I have found it very useful.”
“MyDesmond has turned my life style around for the better.”
“MyDesmond is an excellent reference to allow me to refresh my knowledge in my effort to self-manage my diabetes.”
- 90% said the information in the site was ‘sufficiently detailed’
- 83% agreed the ‘programme was easy to use’.
- 84% agreed that they ‘enjoyed using this programme’.
- 89% said that the information within the programme was valuable/extremely valuable.
- 83% found the programme engaging
- 86% said that they had a ‘better understanding of my condition’ as a result of using MyDESMOND
- 62% reported they were more active and 77% changed their diet as a result of using MyDESMOND
If you are interested in getting access to MyDESMOND, please contact the DESMOND administrator on 01472 256766
*MyDESMOND stands for My Diabetes Education and Self-Management for Ongoing and Newly Diagnosed